Saturday, November 28, 2009

Decorating the Tree and Some New Jammies

So we got our Christmas tree all put up. It fits perfectly into our living room. It is the opposite of our tree from last year. Last year our tree was super tall and fat, but it did not have very many branches or needles. Our tree this year is really full of needles. But it made me miss Maine and our friends there--it was so fun getting our tree from Phinneas' forest last year (miss you guys!!!) We got the lights on last night and Islwyn put the candy canes on.



Here is Amund posing in front of the tree. The big boy is now eating some big boy food and crawling all over the place. He can also go from laying down to sitting up all by himself.
Ok, so I was at the Clothing Co-op the other day and found this HUGE red and white striped maternity t-shirt. Now seriously, there are two good reasons for me to take it and cut it up. One is that NO pregnant woman should wear red and white horizontal stripes. So I am doing pregnant women a favor here by taking it away and cutting it into jammies for the boys. Anyway, since we are super poor these days, and in the interest of trying to recycle things, I have been trying to be really creative about using old clothes, sheets, whatever I can find to make new things. Especially cute jammies for the boys. I mean, they don't need new jammies. But I really wanted them to have matching "candy cane" jammies this Christmas. So I was pretty excited about this giant maternity shirt. And the fact that it was double knit made it even easier to work with. So anyway, I altered the top part of the shirt and the sleeves (they were short sleeves for an adult but about the right length for long sleeves for Amund) to make it into the top part of the Jammies. Then I cut the leg fabric out of the bottom of the shirt. Doing it this way made it so that I didn't have to finish or hem any of the edges because I used the existing ones. Anyway, then I sewed the front of the shirt to the pants and put fold over elastic across the back of the shirt and the back of the pants. In this way it is all one jammie, with a big hole in the bottom area for a butt flap! That is also how he gets it on, by going in through the hole in the back. Then if I need to change his diaper I can just pop his legs and bottom out of the pants, but the top part will stay on. Not sure if this makes sense, but it worked. I totally made the pattern up as I went and am actually happy with it. It took me about 45 minutes from start to finish to make these jammies for Amund and the matching pants for Islwyn.
Sort of a picture of the back...you can't really see the hole.
The front looks like it is a shirt and a pair of pants, but the front is all one piece.
Islwyn got on his candy cane pants and they posed for some pictures by the tree.



2 comments:

Christa said...

Those are so cute! I wore the dress you made to church yesterday and Peggy was very impressed with your sewing abilities.

Becky Rutt Schulz said...

Yeah those are ADORABLE! I love them!!